The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - A Noid
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Noid
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:53 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 366 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London SW
I've no idea what cross this is, a Garden Centre Noid bought a couple of years ago, I accidentally snapped the spike last year....... :evil:

This spike is almost fully open, about 2ft/60cm long, the flowers are small(ish) and about 1.5in/4cm long but the fragrance is HUUUUGE!! and its one of those which fills the room with its strong scent.

Apart from the unusual scents of say whiffy Bulbos, I'm only familiar with about 5 common types of Orchid fragrances:
the vanilla/coconut type, honey, fresh straw or lemon, this Noid has the scent which makes me think of old-fashioned roses.

If you look out for one, you'll probably smell it before you see it.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF2023.JPG
DSCF2023.JPG [ 349.55 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]
DSCF2024.JPG
DSCF2024.JPG [ 372.87 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]

Orchid Molly likes this post.

Post subject: Re: A Noid
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:16 am 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 372 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
It looks familiar but the brain cells are just not responding! Whatever it is Steve it is giving a good display.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:29 pm 

Liked in: 273 posts
I live in: China • 中國/中国
My nearest city or region is: Changchun China
Just off the top of my head, I would think it is Oncidium variegatum Sw.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:01 am 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 78 posts
My nearest city or region is: Derby
Is it one of the Oncidium Debutante clones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:39 am 

Thanks for all the head-scratching guys, I've Googled your suggestions and you're both very near the mark but the trouble with a Noid is that we'll really never be sure so don't worry, I'm not going to lose any sleep over the lack of an ID, its still going to smell just as great.

It was hard (for me ! :roll: ) to get a good photo of the long, elegant spike: if I tried to get a long shot to include the whole spike, the flowers just disappeared into the distance, if I tried to get flower detail, then I lost the spike length. You just can't win !

Must say these scented orchids do make the daily 3 hour routine of mount-spraying more of a pleasure !

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:20 am 

My Nikon D90, help me allot with that problem, portrait setting picks up the flower and lets the background fade.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:26 pm 

OCRC_Dir_China wrote:
My Nikon D90, help me allot with that problem, portrait setting picks up the flower and lets the background fade.

That'll teach me for buying a "Hokey-Cokey 2000" model instead of paying the extra for a good name ?

Steve

OCRC_Dir_China likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:49 pm 

I had a cannon but became fed up with it, and its optics, switched to Nikon and never been happier.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 am 

OCRC_Dir_China wrote:
I had a cannon but became fed up with it, and its optics, switched to Nikon and never been happier.

Thank you Kenneth, I shall certainly bear that in mind when looking for a replacement....

Stevre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am 

Liked in: 66 posts
My nearest city or region is: Suffolk
I think it is Colmanara Tropic Jungle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:59 am 

Marco wrote:

Thank you Marco, had to Google your suggestion and judging by the Images, it seems to be another very likely candidate.

Also read some of the descriptions from a few Websites and it seems strange that not one single one of them mentioned its powerful scent ? :?
So still not really sure what it is but fortunately, I don't mind !

Thanks..........

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:30 am 

stevek wrote:
Marco wrote:

Thank you Marco, had to Google your suggestion and judging by the Images, it seems to be another very likely candidate.

Also read some of the descriptions from a few Websites and it seems strange that not one single one of them mentioned its powerful scent ? :?
So still not really sure what it is but fortunately, I don't mind !

Thanks..........

Steve

Steve, it is not impossible to identify any orchid, just takes some time and trouble, and allot of research. I use keying and systematics to help identify many orchids. Unfortunately, many orchids a poorly describe or data deficient; some are questionable about being classed a new species. Even with dna, unless you have tested the complete genus the linage chain is incomplete. Unfortunately dna testing is money and time consuming, and I have not been able to receive grants and funding to test an entire genus. I personally been told many times, "that orchids are not high enough of a priority or interest to fund such a program". This explains a great deal why, I go it alone.

Keying: Identification of an unknown individual by process of elimination using a nested series of paired contrasting statements. Decide which pair better fits the unknown (mutually exclusive), proceed by eliminating options along the way until you're left with only one option. Keying out unknowns is like a trip down a repeatedly forking road.
Systematics: Taxonomy; Evolutionary Biology; Phylogenetics

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:40 am 

OCRC_Dir_China wrote:
Steve, it is not impossible to identify any orchid, just takes some time and trouble, and allot of research. I use keying and systematics to help identify many orchids.

Hi Kenneth,
And that's another difference between us!.....I appreciate that in your field its vital to know what you're dealing with and to be accurate with data and information, particularly if researchers use your Website for info but for me, its not crucial to know the name of every plant in my Growroom, as long as it continues to grow & flower, it'll always be the same plant.....whatever its name.

OCRC_Dir_China wrote:
Unfortunately, many orchids a poorly describe or data deficient; some are questionable about being classed a new species.

:shock: :o I'm sure you're not including all those many "Rare" orchids for sale on E-bay (which all suspiciously look like the Noids you can pick up at any Garden Centre ?)

Steve

Just got a "Temporarily Unavailable at the moment" message when accessing your Website, has some-one forgotten to pay their bills Kenneth ? :naughty:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:40 pm 

Just got a "Temporarily Unavailable at the moment" message when accessing your Website, has some-one forgotten to pay their bills Kenneth ? :naughty:[/quote]

Not at all Steve, the Chinese government started a law on Sept 1st, that concentrates on us foreigners.

Basically, under the new law, my website would fall into a category of running a business from inside China with out proper licenses. The penalty is two years in prison, deportation, and a monetary fine. You have to submit paper work every year a detailed report of what you do.

If you operate a web site from within China.
Humanitarian aid.
Journalists.
Private consultant.
Religious (Western eg from out side China)
All NGO/None profits
ect............

They very efficiently made just about anything we do, can fall under this new law, so this is why I had to shut down my web site.
You must apply for a license to operate or face the punishment, I can assure you that not many licenses will be given out, unless you pay some kind of corruption bribe. A ten year green card, from China is nearly impossible to get, I know I tried, and I meet all the requirement's it running a 90% denial rate. This is the crazy part put one million us dollars in a Chinese bank and you can get a ten year green card in one day.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:04 am 

OCRC_Dir_China wrote:
Not at all Steve, the Chinese government started a law on Sept 1st, that concentrates on us foreigners.

Basically, under the new law, my website would fall into a category of running a business from inside China with out proper licenses. The penalty is two years in prison, deportation, and a monetary fine. You have to submit paper work every year a detailed report of what you do.

They very efficiently made just about anything we do, can fall under this new law, so this is why I had to shut down my web site.
You must apply for a license to operate or face the punishment, I can assure you that not many licenses will be given out, unless you pay some kind of corruption bribe. A ten year green card, from China is nearly impossible to get, I know I tried, and I meet all the requirement's it running a 90% denial rate. This is the crazy part put one million us dollars in a Chinese bank and you can get a ten year green card in one day.

It had crossed my mind that your Website may be going down because of new Chinese laws from one of your earlier Posts, but I didn't think it would be so quick !!!....a sad day Kenneth ?
Pretty efficient and ruthless of them ?

It says a lot about their heirarchy when the only greenery they show any interest in is not the conservation of their flora......just the green paper stuff.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:42 pm 

stevek wrote:
OCRC_Dir_China wrote:

It had crossed my mind that your Website may be going down because of new Chinese laws from one of your earlier Posts, but I didn't think it would be so quick !!!....a sad day Kenneth ?

It says a lot about their heirarchy when the only greenery they show any interest in is not the conservation of their flora......just the green paper stuff.

Steve

Its about 100% total control with no opposition to oppose them. Look at Cambodia, they used the ploy to shut down a freelance news paper, who constantly reported unfavorably about them, it was started and ran by an America.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:45 pm 

stevek wrote:
OCRC_Dir_China wrote:

Steve

Its about 100% total control with no opposition to oppose them. Look at Cambodia, they used the same ploy to shut down a freelance news paper, who constantly reported unfavorably about them, it was started and ran by an America.

View us at ocrcchina.com