The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Asking about Porroglossums? RIP Porroglossum meridionale
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:15 am 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 61 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Lancashire
So my Porroglossum meridionale was doing ok at the beginning, but it was not to last. It gave me a few new growths and seemed quite happy. I was cautious not to let it dry out, not to give it too much light, made sure air movement was adequate, careful not to let it get overheated - even placed it in the Rain water only category of my small collection. Most site classed it as a Cool to Warm grower - so I tried to keep it on more Intermediate levels.

Alas - I still managed to keep it a little too wet me thinks. It started to drop leafs for fun, so unpotted it and check the roots. There were still some pretty healthy roots but not as many as there should have been - the main inner of the pot got water logged. The major problem though seemed to be around the plant base, where the roots meet the main plant. So quick was the demise that before I could get some fungacide it was leafless (but still with some healthy looking roots).

I have put on a spare small Maponi mount, surrounded it with a little living moss and set it to one side (Off to town tomorrow for appropriate fungicides). It probably wont come back, but while the roots still show some signs of life - what the hell? - I have patience. The plant only cost me £1, so at the very least it's a cheap lesson!

This is certainly a genus that has my fascination, and even if mine does not resurrect itself then I still wish to learn more and hopefully one day grow one well!

So, I would like to ask my fellow growers of their experience with the Porroglossum Genus in general, but especially meridionale?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:37 am 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 366 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Hi Michele,

I have meridionale.

It was bought last year on 1st April ( :? ominous date there ?) and true, it hasn't suffered like yours seems to have done, but then it hasn't done much either except for putting out 1 new leaf.
I have a habit of buying what I like regardless of whether they are suitable for my conditions so didn't expect much from it as it's growing in conditions the opposite of what is recommended.

In fact, if you hadn't posted about it to remind me about it, I probably could have forgotten that I even had it !
I think your Post may have even spurred me into doing something to get it to get its act together and I may move it to see what happens, kill or cure ?

Steve

Michele V likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 am 

I remember :) I think we got both around the same time. Interesting though, mine pushed up at least 3 new leafs over the year but the Demise was something else! I would preferred to still have the plant healthy and settle for one New leaf :lol:

Here are some of the links I have been referring to.
http://www.aos.org/orchids/orchids-a-to ... ossum.aspx
http://www.pleurothallids.com/index.php ... &Itemid=58
And found these site, because I wasn't sure about growing intermediate anymore, and to get my head round varying weather conditions of it's natural habitat.
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/weath ... type=lapse
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... &MAPS=over

How are you growing yours?
I was using a mini glass case - still waiting to time and opportunity to set up a proper terrarium (I think I will wait till I have one before trying any more Porroglossums)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:56 pm 

Michele V wrote:
I remember :) I think we got both around the same time.
How are you growing yours?

Yes we did Michele, and neither of us seem to be that much further forward with them. :(
I grow mine in every way I shouldn't be: warm & bright light but mounted.

Here is a quote from one of those Links:
"The plants are easy to cultivate and with their successively flowering habit are almost always in full bloom."
Do you recognise the plant it is talking about?...........No, neither do I, and our meridionales certainly don't know either! :lol:

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:58 pm 

Seems mounting may be a better idea, as I I kept mine potted. If I get another I may just mount it straight away (But I will resist temptation for now)

stevek wrote:
Here is a quote from one of those Links:
"The plants are easy to cultivate and with their successively flowering habit are almost always in full bloom."
Do you recognise the plant it is talking about?...........No, neither do I, and our meridionales certainly don't know either! :lol:

Nope. Don't recognise that plant at all! :lol:

Please let us know how it goes with your plant! Good or Bad, but obviously preferably good ;) Here's hoping you can get yours to a blooming state sooner rather than later :D

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:07 am 

Michele V wrote:
Please let us know how it goes with your plant!

Will do, same goes for you too !

Steve

Michele V likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:49 am 

I doubt it's going to last, but have been searching and came across a link to a list of culture sheets which recommends that Porroglossum (in general) should really be mounted. Yet, doesn't expand much on what we already know (like trying to research the natural habitats and climates).

However it seems like quite a comprehensive culture list, so will share both links
Porroglossum = http://www.cloudsorchids.com/culture/twig_epiphyte.htm
Genus selector = http://www.cloudsorchids.com/culture.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:22 pm 

Hi Michele,

Thanks for those links but very frustrating (nothing to do with Porroglossums) because I also noticed a mention of Psygmorchis and I had just remounted mine a couple of weeks ago into a brighter light because it wasn't doing so well but noticed that link stated moderate to low light ! :evil:
This conflicting data is really annoying, its a shame there isn't one good Website providing reliable, accurate data which you could rely on.
Fortunately I've seen a slight improvement in the Psygmorchis so its staying where it is !

Following on from the Porroglossum conversation, I have re-mounted mine today to give it a quick kick up the proverbials to see if it spurs it into doing anything.?
I removed about 50% of the moss, it was very wet, noticing the best roots weren't growing in but outside the moss (as if trying to escape its wetness).

Now just sit back and see what happens, fingers crossed for both of ours....

Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:03 pm 

stevek wrote:
Thanks for those links but very frustrating (nothing to do with Porroglossums) because I also noticed a mention of Psygmorchis and I had just remounted mine a couple of weeks ago into a brighter light because it wasn't doing so well but noticed that link stated moderate to low light ! :evil:
This conflicting data is really annoying, its a shame there isn't one good Website providing reliable, accurate data which you could rely on.
Fortunately I've seen a slight improvement in the Psygmorchis so its staying where it is !

Yes, conflicting info can be frustrating, also I think sometimes peoples interpretations of whats Bright and Low in terms of light can seem quite different.
It's best when you kind find a grower near you that has had success with a Genus, if you can get hints and tips from them it usually works out (Hence why this time round I haven't managed to kill my Slipper orchids yet! Unlike with previous attempts).
Other than that I try to cross reference as much as possible, slowly trying to find the similarities and discrepancies that can occur. Reading up on Natural habitats as well is very useful to get your head round the care regimes for some of these plants :lol: Much easier to do when you are speaking of one of the more commonly grown ones!

stevek wrote:
Following on from the Porroglossum conversation, I have re-mounted mine today to give it a quick kick up the proverbials to see if it spurs it into doing anything.?
I removed about 50% of the moss, it was very wet, noticing the best roots weren't growing in but outside the moss (as if trying to escape its wetness).

Now just sit back and see what happens, fingers crossed for both of ours....

Must admit the healthier roots that remained on mine were also to the surface of the media and growing across not down into the pot. So seems to me the trick may lie more with the balance humidity and air movement - but that's just a guess. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for both two (but especially yours - it has a much better chance!)