The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Masdevallia copperwing X barleana
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:55 am 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 66 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Suffolk
I used to have real problems (ie they died)with Masdevallias until I put them all on cork bark about 8 months ago and now they seem to be doing really well this one has 11 flowers on it

Attachments:
IMG_20170917_114849-2080x1560.jpg
IMG_20170917_114849-2080x1560.jpg [ 619.61 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

Orchid Molly likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:57 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 366 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Very well grown Marco, I like this one very much and think I've already mentioned its only my growing conditions which stop me from getting more.?

I couldn't resist a Decumana which hasn't flowered yet but I've just moved that from bark to rockwool because I want it to be my specimen massie 'pride & joy' as I don't think a large specimen will grow well on vertical mounted bark, which is why I'd like to know if your mount is only horizontal for the photo or like that permanently Marco ?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 am 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 384 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
A beautiful flowering Marco. Your change of growing method seems to have worked a treat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 am 

stevek wrote:
Very well grown Marco, I like this one very much and think I've already mentioned its only my growing conditions which stop me from getting more.?

I couldn't resist a Decumana which hasn't flowered yet but I've just moved that from bark to rockwool because I want it to be my specimen massie 'pride & joy' as I don't think a large specimen will grow well on vertical mounted bark, which is why I'd like to know if your mount is only horizontal for the photo or like that permanently Marco ?

Steve

Steve I did try some vertically but I now have all the masdys sitting flat on the bench as they hold the moisture better this way which they seem to prefer. It is interesting how all my original preferences are going out the window and my conditions are dictating which orchids I should grow and in which way. I am now thinking maybe I could try a Dracula.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:37 am 

Marco wrote:
Steve I did try some vertically but I now have all the masdys sitting flat on the bench as they hold the moisture better this way which they seem to prefer.

I think that's a good idea Marco, particularly if you are going to let them grow into a large clump, I think their habit will be much better.
They get a bit untidy when their leaves grow dense & upwards on a vertical mount, in effect they are trying to grow parallel to the mount and get very crowded.
I'll try to post a picture to show what happens.

Marco wrote:
I am now thinking maybe I could try a Dracula.

Vampira ???

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:45 am 

stevek wrote:
Marco wrote:
Steve I did try some vertically but I now have all the masdys sitting flat on the bench as they hold the moisture better this way which they seem to prefer.

I think that's a good idea Marco, particularly if you are going to let them grow into a large clump, I think their habit will be much better.
They get a bit untidy when their leaves grow dense & upwards on a vertical mount, in effect they are trying to grow parallel to the mount and get very crowded.

Marco wrote:
I am now thinking maybe I could try a Dracula.

Vampira ???

Steve

Think I will start with some of the cheaper monkey-faced ones and see how I get on but I do like Vampira

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 am 

stevek wrote:

Hi Marco,

Photo attached as mentioned.

A plant growing on the horizontal would normally spread horizontally with leaves growing vertically.

But as you can see from the lower growth in the photo, when a plant is already growing vertically the leaves have to "double-back" on themselves to get to their natural vertical growth habit.
It's okay with a young plant and few leaves but this is what happens as it matures and gets denser.
If I don't do something about this, it could become a fair old tangled mess in time ?
I can only imagine future leaves trying to emerge but being held down by the older growth above it?

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF2056.JPG
DSCF2056.JPG [ 386.8 KiB | Viewed 357 times ]

Orchid Molly likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:07 am 

stevek wrote:
stevek wrote:

Hi Marco,

Photo attached as mentioned.

A plant growing on the horizontal would normally spread horizontally with leaves growing vertically.

But as you can see from the lower growth in the photo, when a plant is already growing vertically the leaves have to "double-back" on themselves to get to their natural vertical growth habit.
It's okay with a young plant and few leaves but this is what happens as it matures and gets denser.
If I don't do something about this, it could become a fair old tangled mess in time ?
I can only imagine future leaves trying to emerge but being held down by the older growth above it?

Steve

I see what you mean Steve. I had the same issue with them when i tried hanging them but also I think they were drying out too much and while I was getting new leaves coming along at the same time lots were dropping off and flowers were a rare occurence. So now they are a bit more shaded and certainly damper they seem to be loving it and I now have a shopping list for Masdys. It seems pointless fighting my conditions as the plants that don't enjoy them are definitely letting me know as are the ones that do. Interestingly when they were hanging they were being watered daily with rainwater/rainmix but now they only get watered every couple of days with tap water on a timer and then again with the rainwater at the weekends when I am around and they dont seem to be suffering from the poor water quality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm 

Marco wrote:
I see what you mean Steve. I had the same issue with them when i tried hanging them but also I think they were drying out too much and while I was getting new leaves coming along at the same time lots were dropping off and flowers were a rare occurence. So now they are a bit more shaded and certainly damper they seem to be loving it and I now have a shopping list for Masdys. It seems pointless fighting my conditions as the plants that don't enjoy them are definitely letting me know as are the ones that do. Interestingly when they were hanging they were being watered daily with rainwater/rainmix but now they only get watered every couple of days with tap water on a timer and then again with the rainwater at the weekends when I am around and they dont seem to be suffering from the poor water quality.

It's the only thing you can do, if you have a variety of orchids all growing in the same conditions which you can't change, they will soon let you know which ones you can keep & grow as they will thrive and the others will struggle, maybe die so don't buy those again (a form of natural selection?)
Even then I have cool & warm plants growing and flowering together so I will always give something a try.

Steve