The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Fetilizers today...
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fetilizers today...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:40 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 0 post
My nearest city or region is: nr Leeds
Hi All,

After a 5 year break , someone has given me some orchids, so will to keeping a few , though on a smaller scale to last time.

Was looking for some feed and before I used Akernes rain mix, and looked on the web to buy a small £5 tub but was a annoyed to find they added £3 for a small order fee and then £3.99 for P&P , meaning £12 for a little tub , ridiculous ! :handgestures-thumbdown:

Any recommendations for other fertilizers, have seem the Chempak ones in the garden centers ?

Edit, having looked at a couple of other online 'orchid' suppliers seems minimum charges are abound !

Can get hold of ChemPak Liquid and powder feeds or Orchid Focus liquid products without such silly fees, but would welcome any comment about how good they are ?

thanks

Post subject: Re: Fetilizers today...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:10 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 366 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London SW
I use Rainmix because I like the theory behind it, to give the plants the measure of the elements they need but without given them an overdose with the added elements contained within our tap-water.
But to be honest, I think as long as they have the main basic elements (N.P.K.) with some added minerals, then I think they are all much the same, possibly going for a high Potash if you want to concentrate on flowering or Nitrogen if leaves & root growth.

If I couldn't get something aimed specifically at orchids (ie. Orchid Focus), then I would quite happily buy Miraclegro but with these "general" fertilisers, I would use at a lower strength. I am a lousy feeder and never had any problems with lack of flowering even when my plants were never fed and should have been starving !!!

Steve

ricky likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:33 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 384 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Ricky the only one I would advise against is the Orchid Focus. It may well be a good fertilizer but you are paying a premium price for a very weak product. The last time I looked its N:P:K was 2.2:1.3:2.1 compared to Tomorite at 4:4.5:8. I found the Akernes rainmix to be OK. It is a good strength at 12.5:3:15 plus of course the added extras. It is just that much more expensive particularly when adding on the p&p etc.

ricky likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:29 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 394 posts
My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
We use phostrogen. The main argument for not using it is it contains urea, not thats a real concern or not.

ricky likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:43 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 0 post
My nearest city or region is: nr Leeds
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

Silvershaded

The use of urea does seem a debatable point, partic as in the wild surely thats where a lot of the nitrogen /wildlife waste comes from ?

That said , looking at the packets, things like Phostrogen and some of the Chempak standard ferilizers, the nitrogen comes almost completely from Urea.

Cricketerry

Thanks for that, was going to order some from the web, but you put me right !

Having used Rain Mix before, it seems to work ok as I had good flowers etc, though nothing first hand to compare it against.

The only problem with it was despite being double bagged and kept in a dry indoors cupboard it still clumped, and as their web site says , it can spoil, hence me looking at just the smallest tub for the few I will be keeping.

Suppose I will have to get the larger £10 tub so do not have to pay the £3 small order charge, but probably end up wasting half the contents.... though, .. have found some largish sachets of silica gel , so perhaps adding that to the sealed bag will help keep it free.

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:03 pm 

ricky wrote:
Hi All,

Silvershaded

The use of urea does seem a debatable point, partic as in the wild surely thats where a lot of the nitrogen /wildlife waste comes from ?

That said , looking at the packets, things like Phostrogen and some of the Chempak standard ferilizers, the nitrogen comes almost completely from Urea.

Urea is very cheap so all cheap fertilisers will contain at least some urea. If you for go for non-urea fertilisers they are going to be more expensive.

I have seen wild orchids covered in deer/buffalo/elephant poop, on the other hand, rain is also supposed to contain a small amount of nitrates picked up from the gobi/sahara deserts depending on which part of the world your in.

All I can say is we have used most types of fertiliser and not noticed much difference. The biggest problem with fertilising we've had is overdoing it, getting growth that is too soft and it rotting very easily later on.

ricky likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:12 pm 

Liked in: 384 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
SilverShaded wrote:

All I can say is we have used most types of fertiliser and not noticed much difference............................

And that just about sums up my experience as well!

ricky likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:25 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 28 posts
My nearest city or region is: mk
I use rain mix but I use this more. It's (urea) 30-10-10. I wouldn't take much notice of the Amazon reviews though as most of the growers seem entry level! I saw some American slipper growers talking about it originally
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotts-100199- ... B001OELXHU

ricky likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:32 pm 

Matty wrote:
I use rain mix but I use this more. It's (urea) 30-10-10. I wouldn't take much notice of the Amazon reviews though as most of the growers seem entry level! I saw some American slipper growers talking about it originally
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotts-100199- ... B001OELXHU

We have used miracle grow, slow release granules, mostly on thunias but yes seems to work as well as anything else.

ricky likes this post.