The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Rainmix
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rainmix
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:08 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 7 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Birmingham
My hardiness zone is: 8
Its an interesting question. Ammonium nitrate will decompose by oxidation over time. Granular compound fertilisers are pretty stable while they are in solid form, but once they get wet then the various compounds may interact and breakdown. Low pH will probably increase the speed of breakdown too.

I've struggled to find much data on this topic, and its difficult to know without knowing the compounds in rainmix.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:39 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 62 posts
My nearest city or region is: Winchester
orchidman wrote:
Rainmix is indeed very hygroscopic - but that seems normal for any powdery fertilizers if left open. I ran a 12 month trial for another (commercial and expensive) non-orchid fertilizer which has the same qualities if left open. I use two different strengths 15-5-15 for six months then 12-5-20 for flowering and they have produced dramatic results for the way I grow my plants. That said, everyone to their own, and I know that Rainmix is very carefully formulated for orchid culture and is an excellent product for orchid plants using rain water.

Richard
The commercial fertiliser you are using is so so cheap compared to Rainmix and the results you are experiencing is what one would expect from a global nutrition company.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:39 am 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 366 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
tom499 wrote:
once they get wet then the various compounds may interact and breakdown. Low pH will probably increase the speed of breakdown too.
I've struggled to find much data on this topic, and its difficult to know without knowing the compounds in rainmix.

I've dumped the remaining Rainmix (now paste not powder!), it may not have done any harm to continue using it, but may no longer be doing any good either?

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:32 pm 
Starting to put down roots here
Starting to put down roots here

Liked in: 30 posts
Spot on, Brian.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:08 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 2 posts
I live in: Spain • España
My nearest city or region is: Barcelona
Hey, just wanted to jump in on the “Rain Mix” topic with a question....did anyone using the old formula that turned pink have issues with root tip burn and salt accumulations in the media? Don’t know if you follow YouTube vloggers, but several orchid growers, myself included, suffered similar issues with it. Complaints were made, videos showing the damage and a general consensus that the product had only been tested on an industrial level in greenhouses and not on a small scale for the individual Home grower. Soon thereafter, the formula was modified, it no longer changes color when mixed and seems to be significantly improved, yet the company made no mention of the problem, the change, nor the results, but who cares? As long as the shit works....right? ;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:20 am 

orchidudeBcn wrote:
did anyone using the old formula that turned pink have issues with root tip burn and salt accumulations in the media? Don’t know if you follow YouTube vloggers, but several orchid growers, myself included, suffered similar issues with it. Complaints were made, videos showing the damage and a general consensus that the product had only been tested on an industrial level in greenhouses and not on a small scale for the individual Home grower. Soon thereafter, the formula was modified, it no longer changes color when mixed and seems to be significantly improved, yet the company made no mention of the problem, the change, nor the results, but who cares? As long as the shit works....right? ;))

Hi,

Strange that I also had something to add to this Post today? (separate Post following)

I didn't realise there had been a minor "backlash" against Rainmix on-line but then I wouldn't have been looking for it because I hadn't suffered any of the problems you mentioned, either before or after they changed the formula, and even if I did, I wouldn't really be confident to identify Rainmix (or any other product) as the culprit, could other factors cause these issues and be responsible?
If the formula was all made up to the same ratios (except for the quantities), I don't understand why there should have been a difference in the results whether tested on 1,000 phals in an industrial greenhouse or the 1 phal sitting on my window-sill?
I was quite happy with it and my only problem was its turning to slop after a while and only being able to obtain it mail-order.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:35 am 

:think: Is it a coincedence that since dumping Rainmix about a month ago (only because of its condition) and using Miraclegro since then, the following have all started to produce spikes:

Aerangis citrata x fastuosa (bought in flower in March this year)
Ascocentrum pusillum
Baptistonia echinata
Bulbophyllum makoyanum
Cirrhopetulum lepidum
Neostylis 'Blue Moon' (first spike)
Renanthera monachica (first time with 2 spikes :dance: )

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:42 am 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 372 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
stevek wrote:
:think: Is it a coincedence that since dumping Rainmix about a month ago (only because of its condition) and using Miraclegro since then, the following have all started to produce spikes:Steve

Ahh that unanswerable question, whatever the reason I can feel some pics coming along in a month or two 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:25 am 

cricketerry wrote:
I can feel some pics coming along in a month or two 8-)

Hope so !....some lovely blurry, out of focus ones no doubt ! :(

Steve