The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Garden/Orchid sprayers
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Garden/Orchid sprayers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 am 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 366 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London SW
I use the garden sprayers (not the hand misters) to water my mounted plants and have just bought a Hozelock for almost £40.00 !!! :shock:
In my view and from experience (for anyone considering buying one), the best one available is Aquaking from Growell.

I bought a cheapo Homebase own brand (about £10.00) and believe in the saying "You get what you pay for" so I didn't expect much and wasn't let down as it only lasted a couple of weeks but it was a good design, it had a built in "saucer" around the rim for those like me who always overfill the container so the liquid overflows into this "saucer" when I replace the plunger, rather than overflowing all over the floor. This feature is missing from the £40.00 Hozelock version so I now get wet floors.

The Aquaking has the design of the cheapo Homebase (the built in "saucer") but the quality of Hozelock lasting a lot longer than Homebase (> one year), but a mid-range price of around £19.00.

Steve

Michele V likes this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:27 am 
Global Moderator and Lord of the Rings

Liked in: 37 posts
My nearest city or region is: Birmingham
Mine is a 5l Hozelock sprayer. It is lasting well but I really don't like the design of it. The plunger is really hard to unscrew and is now made of plastic. Hozelock aren't as good as they used to be, but I haven't found anything better yet.

I'd not thought to look at Growell, but I shall certainly check them out when my current one breaks.

http://www.kevsorchids.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:25 am 

Telipogon wrote:
Mine is a 5l Hozelock sprayer. Hozelock aren't as good as they used to be, but I haven't found anything better yet.

Hi Kev,

I have the same 5L sprayer and didn't mind paying the £40 because I knew them to be a good make so I hope you're wrong about the quality not being as good they were? :o .........but time will tell.
I thought the spray was a little too strong for the smaller, more delicate orchids but was able to replace it with the the nozzle from my old Aquaking, after all I only want to water them, not blow them off their mounts !

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
I have the 7lt house lock that holds the 5lt of water, as said above the plunger is in a stupid place, can be very hard to unscrew. I only paid £20.00 for mine as it was on offer and should have been £40.

I have had mine for nearly 7yrs and never had a problem never found anything better or lasted as long as this on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 am 

blondie wrote:
I have the 7lt house lock that holds the 5lt of water, as said above the plunger is in a stupid place, can be very hard to unscrew. I only paid £20.00 for mine as it was on offer and should have been £40.
I have had mine for nearly 7yrs and never had a problem never found anything better or lasted as long as this on.

I think the plunger "locks" into place and has to be pushed down and turned to release it, Why? I don't know but a small price to pay for the quality and yours at £20.00....definately a bargain !

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:17 pm 

Plus, the lance flies apart under pressure when I do a soapy drench....messy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:55 am 

Telipogon wrote:
Plus, the lance flies apart under pressure when I do a soapy drench....messy!

Yeah!, you're right Kev, it's a load of rubbish, wish I never bought the bloody thing now ! :lol: ;)

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 pm 

To be fair, it's lasting well, i just have to keep re-assmbling it!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 pm 

Liked in: 394 posts
My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
What do you guys think of the Gardena pressure sprayers, weve had 4 of them for about ten years, two are now broken so looking for replacements. Seems hard to find the gardena ones except online these days. Ive never tried the hozelocks, how do they compare?

blondie likes this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:48 am 

SilverShaded wrote:
What do you guys think of the Gardena pressure sprayers, weve had 4 of them for about ten years, two are now broken so looking for replacements. Seems hard to find the gardena ones except online these days. Ive never tried the hozelocks, how do they compare?

Hi,

I hadn't heard of Gardena before but would now look out for them as yours sound like a good recommendation?

As Chris & Kev mentioned earlier, there may be a couple of minor "niggling" things about Hozelock.
I also miss the saucer rim of the Aquaking which was handy not only for those overflow moments on filling, but after unscrewing the handle to release the pressure after use, I could pick it up by the rim with one hand to put away, you can't do that with a Hozelock, you have to use both hands around the base because the handle is now unscrewed and no rim to pick it up by, not a major problem but makes me think Hozelock is a good sturdy sprayer but could be better designed.

I think in future, I would choose Aquaking for the design, it may not last as long as Hozelock but then its half the price (so probably works out the same over 10 years?) but certainly far better than the really cheapo sprayers.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:00 pm 

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
SilverShaded wrote:

I have heard of these with bing in the hort industry, I have never used one as ive never been able to buy one. I brought hoselock mainky for the easy of being able to get them no matter what, I can buy spare and repairs as long as the container is not broken.

It recall dose fall down to price, availability. I can not fault the hoselock sprayer as a general just a few things impersonally dislike in the designe. But they are not the be all and end all.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:40 pm 

Liked in: 394 posts
My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
I just a bought a '7' L hozelock, initial thoughts are its seems ok, easier to pump than the gardena with a more confortable handle. The hose and lance is a bit shorter overall (partly because it exits bottom on the hozelock) than the Gardena which is irritating for reaching up into the greenhouse.

The gardena catch for holding the lance after use is a bit rubbish. hozelock is better.

Gardena lance seems a bit sturdier. Ill see how the hozelock goes on with a bit of wear and tear...

Ill probably use the hozelock for rainwater and spraying some dartfrogs in the greenhouse, it wont get mixed up with fertilizer in the gardena that way.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:50 am 

SilverShaded wrote:
Gardena lance seems a bit sturdier. Ill see how the hozelock goes on with a bit of wear and tear....

If the dimensions are the same, you could try a bit of mix & match relacing the Hozelock lance with the Gardena ?
My Hozelock sprayer now has an Aquaking nozzle as I thought the Aquaking had a finer spray.

Steve